Position Opportunity - Product Designer - Mechanical and Telecommunications
Established in 1971 and headquartered in Langley, British Columbia, Primex Manufacturing Ltd. (Primex) is a molder of plastic injection products. From its roots as a small custom injection molder and through the combination of Primex’s predecessor companies, Vanguard Plastics, Premo Plastics and VPL Enterprises Ltd., Primex has developed broad capabilities in the design, engineering and mold fabrication of a number of proprietary, patented in-house plastic products.
Primex Manufacturing is a plastic injection-molding company that specializes in the manufacture and distribution of telecommunication and building products. Primex specializes in developing, producing and distributing flexible enclosure solutions for the cable and telecom industries. We offer turn-key and OEM solutions for CATV, Copper and Fiber termination boxes in a series of off-the-shelf products as well as ready-to-install customized enclosures. At Primex, we make everything fit – so you don’t have to.
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and design parts and product assemblies for the Telecom and HVAC industry; take full responsibility for the designated tasks.
- Contribute in all areas of product development, including creative processes, conceptual design, design development and implementation procedures.
- Provide 2D/3D product and tooling drawings and models for internal and external use, utilizing Solidworks software.
- Ensure that all drawings and models produced are properly managed, following internal procedures and requirements and exhibiting a high quality standard.
- Actively coordinate all work within the team, maintaining a high level of communication.
- Exhibit initiative, self-motivation, responsibility and a forward thinking attitude in all design and development processes.
- Analyze customer application requirements, specifications, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and options for design.
- Facilitate conceptual design development and design review meetings, engaging other necessary functional departments to gain input for product design and manufacturability.
- Utilize 3D Printing and other prototyping techniques to create parts for assessment and design approval; prepare printed models, operate and maintain prototyping equipment.
- Participate in the innovation process and in R&D projects on demand.
- Assist QA, Toolroom, Maintenance and Production with all design related questions, supply drawings and models.
- Support Sales and Marketing in terms of customer technical support, providing technical drawings and information, evaluation of competition products, and gathering technical information during trade show and customer meetings.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate product or mold malfunctions.
- Build part assemblies from existing components on demand, for evaluation.
- Research and become proficient in the application areas of the company’s products, evaluate and report technical trends in the industry.
- Proficiency in design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models. Specifically, in depth knowledge of Solidworks (certified) is required, experience using PDM is an asset.
- Excellent problem solving abilities using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, or different approaches to problems. Draw conclusions and get to the next step.
- Uses creativity methods to develop new ideas or systems. Combine function with aesthetics.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications. The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understand fluid, material, mechanical, and electrical systems.
- Knowledge of machines and tools in the plastics processing industry.
- Understanding of product cost calculation and factors contributing to Total Production Costs.
- Knowledge of data networking broadband, telco, fiber optic and cable technologies.
- Technical Diploma with 5 years relevant work experience, or
- Design Engineering degree, preferred mechanical or manufacturing with minimum 3 years relevant work experience.
- EiT’s would have the opportunity to build their professional experience
We thank all applicants for their interest, only short listed candidates will be contacted - thank you.